Saturday, June 1, 2013

Going Cold Turkey

My Mr. and I are decided that our eating habits, though not completely bad, need to change. We eat out...more than we need to! We eat meat...more than we'd like to! We eat processed junk food...more often than we should!

Cancer has become more prevalent in my family. My paternal grandfather is a colon cancer survivor. My paternal mother just passed away with leukemia and lung cancer. My dad was diagnosed with leukemia a few days after Thanksgiving last year. My maternal grandmother had skin cancer. And just two weeks ago my cousin was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma.  Other family health concerns are diabetes and heart attack/strokes. That's just on my side! I'm not sure about my husband's family history. I feel I need to educate myself so that I, together with My Mr., can raise our Little Babe(s) to live a healthier life.

After watching the documentaries, Forks Over Knives and Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue, we realized that the way we eat will eventually come and bite us on the tush! So to speak.

So together, My Mr. and I are challenging ourselves to cut meat, dairy, oil and refined sugar from our diets and eat more plants & grains for the entire month of June. It's going to be hard because we LOVE buffalo wings and pizza. And our 3rd year anniversary is coming up on the 16th and my birthday is on the 21st. I'm looking forward to finding a healthy alternative to cake & ice cream.

So here's to one month of plant-based whole foods!!

We got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment